Chicago Marathon

Chicago Marathon

Sunday, October 14, 2012

World's Largest Corn Maze Run, Spring Grove 10/13/12



This morning I did a 5k run through corn stalks!  This took place at the Richardson Adventure Farm in Spring Grove, IL.   Above is a video of a previous one.  On the way to the race it was drizzling a little bit, however by the time I got to the farm the rain has stopped. 

There were a lot more people at this race than I expected.  It turned out that 507 raced, however there were many more there to watch.  I got my bib and was ready to run.  This race, a new person would start every three seconds, this allowed for more space, because when we ran there was a decent amount of room between the corn stalks, however not a large amount.  We had a timing device on our bib, since we all did not start at the same time.   

Everyone was separated into different groups, based on when we signed up our predicted average mile pace.  They started out with the faster to the slower.  When I started, I got off pretty good, however it took me a minute to get by a couple of girls, they were a little slower but took up space so it was hard to get by them.  Through the race, I would say I passed around 30 people and I was only passed once! 

The rain from earlier made it a lot more fun and harder to maneuver in the race.  The mud was sticking to my shoes and it was very easy to slip and fall.  Also, this race had over 100 turns through the corn.  You were constantly turning to go in a different direction.  It was really cool and different.  You just had to be careful making the turns because if you didn't you ccould easily fall on your face.  

With the mud and the turns, it felt more than a regular 5k.  I had a lot of fun with this run, and would defiantly do it again.  I ended up with a time of 26 minutes and 38 seconds.  I feel that I could have been a little faster, because a few times I was stuck behind some people, however I am sure I held a person or two up as well.  I ended up 32 place out of 507 people!  In my division (males 30-34 years old)  I got 4th.  One place out of the awards.

This was a great experience and I had a lot of fun.  I look forward to the next one!

You can find the results at the link below.

http://itsracetime.com/Results.aspx?ID=359

No comments:

Post a Comment